Health, Safety and Wellbeing Manager
Job Category : Mugu Humla Link Road
Job Type : Fixed Term
Qualification : Bachelor
Position Summary :
RURAL ACCESS PROGRAMME, PHASE 3
Rural Access Programme – Phase 3 (RAP3) is a 6-year DFID funded programme operating in 14 Districts of Nepal. It aims to improve people’s incomes and resilience through employment, sustainable access to markets and improved access to economic opportunities.RAP3 is seeking an experienced person to manage health, safety and wellbeing related activities for the Mugu Humla Link Road (MHLR) Project.
Applicants are currently invited for the following position:
Position: Health, Safety and Wellbeing Manager(1 position)
Location: Gamgadi, Mugu with frequent travel to site/s in Mugu and Humla districts.
Qualification, skills and experience
- A degree in social science or relevant subject and five years of working experience
- Expertise on preparing and implementing health and safety plans/procedure.
- Organise health and safety related training for staff.
- At least one year working experience in the remote western district of Nepal.
- Master degree in social science or relevant subject.
- Basic understanding of national and international health and safety norms and regulations including UK’s health and safety act.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Carry out general risk, safety assessment of the construction site.
- Prepare guidelines and provide training on health safety wellbeing to all members of the RAP3 team.
- Conduct regular health safety wellbeing audits and ensure the availability of safety gear on-site.Ensure proactive techniques are in place to provide best class health safety measures on-site. Also develop detailed root cause analysis, continual improvement and problem-solving report for health safety incidents.
Eligible applicants should apply by 20th May 2018 through the following process:
Submit your Curriculum Vitae along with an essay on,- “how would you help RAP 3 to begin best practices example in managing the health, safety and wellbeing of its staff and workers”.– 500 words max” to firstname.lastname@example.org , or through our official website www.rapnepal.com . Candidates should clearly mention the position they are applying for in the email subject line.
Applications are welcomed from all parts of the community and we encourage interest from Women, Dalits, Janajatis and Madhesis.Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview. RAP 3 retains the right to reject some or all applications even after the interview without giving any reasons whatsoever.
Rural Access Programme (RAP3)
Ekantakuna, Lalitpur, Kathmandu
Health, Safety and Wellbeing Manager
General Job Description
Gamgadhi Office (Mugu)
Responsible and reporting to the Team Leader (TL) , MHLR
Other RAP3 managers as appropriate.
Responsible to ensure safety and wellbeing of the on-site road construction workers of the RAP3 Mugu Humla road. Implement safety measures where necessary and provide safety training to all members – Supervisors, Engineers, Community mobilisers and on-site workers.
C – District Technical Professional
- Main Roles and Responsibilities
All activities are to be conducted in accordance with the conditions defined in the Employment Contract:
- Assist in compliance reviews, general risk assessment and overall safety assessment of the construction site.
- Assist in compliance of applicable standards and regulations in regards to health and safety.
- Ensure proactive techniques are in place to provide best in class health and safety measures on-site.
- Prepare and Maintain relevant on-site documents and records on health and safety.
- Provide regular refresher trainings and workshops on health and safety to all members of the RAP3 team.
- Conduct regular health and safety audits and inspection on-site.
- Prepare weekly, monthly health and safety reports.
- Provide assistance and advice on health, safety and wellbeing issues and make recommendations to on-site team.
- Monitor availability of health and safety gear on-site.
- Develop detailed root cause analysis and problem solving report if any for any health and safety incidents or violations on-site.
- Suggest up-to date best in class International and national health and safety practices that can be implemented on-site.
2. Additional Duties
- If required assist in implementing OHSAS 18001 health and safety standards on—site, project field offices and Technical Management office (TMO) at Kathmandu.
- Assist the TMO team at Kathmandu in preparing health and safety procedures and policies.
- Oversee any other health and safety incentive programs or trainings.
- Advise in procurement of health and safety gears including suggestions of type, specifications, and brand.
- Respond to all reasonable requests and instructions of the RAP3 team as may be issued from time to time in the interests of the Programme.
- Skills and Expertise
- Graduate degree or higher in the relevant subject
- Preferably over 7 years of work experience
- Ideally at least 1 year relevant experience with a focus on health and safety procedure implementation.
- Basic understanding of national and international health and safety norms and regulations including UK’s health and safety act
- Must be proficient in Ms Office tools and
- Ability to work with all and achieve cultural change in the face of potential resistance.
- Excellent communication (Nepali and English), team building, interpersonal, teaching and leadership skills.
- Motivated to make positive changes in the community.
Candidates who can show relevant work experience or other relevant education qualifications and certificates with regards to health and safety will also be considered.
- Performance Assessment Criteria
All RAP3 employment contracts are annual, linked in with the implementation calendar. Renewal of contracts is linked to satisfactory performance each year. In addition, RAP3 applies a performance bonus payment. Refer the RAP3 Manual for further details on performance assessment criteria. For the Health, Safety and Wellbeing manager, the performance assessment is linked to the following criteria.
Compliance with all conditions in their Employment Contract
Fulfilment of all roles and responsibilities in accordance with the Job Description for this main position and the assigned additional positions
- Additional information and requirements
The desired candidate should be willing to relocate and be based most of their time at Gamgadhi with frequent visits to other construction sites. They will also be required to visit the TMO office at Kathmandu on an as need basis.